Residential and Term Break Hire
Columba College has an extensive range of facilities available for hire by private, sporting and cultural groups as well as commercial organisations.
These include the two Boarding Houses and the Marsh Sports Centre.
For information about other College facilities that may be available for hire in school holidays such as the assembly hall, drama theatre, meeting-rooms and classrooms all enquiries should be addressed to the Principal (email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 03 467 5188).
Both Boarding Residences
Columba College has two Boarding Houses which together can accommodate up to 125 people.
Bishopscourt, built in 1871-72 as the residence of the first Anglican Bishop of Otago and Southland, is a New Zealand Historic Place with a Grade 1 listing. It is the boarding residence now used for Years 7 to 11 boarders and provides a range of dormitories from single rooms, twin rooms to four or five bed dormitories.
The dining-room which can seat 125 comfortably and the main kitchen facilities are in Bishopscourt.
Bishopscourt facilities and services include:
- Accommodation for up to 80 people
- Dining-room and main kitchen
- Four sitting-rooms (one of which can be opened up to create one larger space)
Katharine Buchan House
Katharine Buchan House is also a three-storey building. It was built in the 1960's and is the senior boarding residence which can accommodate 32 in single cubicles. The whole building (interior and exterior) was extensively reburbished in 2007-2008.
Katharine Buchan House facilities and services include:
- Accommodation for up to 32 people
- Large Recreation Room on the ground floor, opening onto a terrace, which can be used as a conference or main meeting venue
- Kitchenette adjacent to the Recreation Room
Both Boarding Houses:
- All linen provided (as required)
- Bathroom facilities
- Laundry and clothes drying facilities
- Television/DVD viewing areas
- Tea and coffee-making facilities
- Internet access
- Dedicated staff-member to be the point of contact to assist with accommodation and catering requirements
Katharine Buchan House
The Marsh Sports Centre
The Sports Centre caters for:
- an international-sized Netball court
- a full-sized Badminton court (or four practice courts)
- an international-sized Basketball court (or three practice courts)
- two Physical Education classes at a time (a motorised curtain divides the gymnasium into two spaces)
- a full-sized Volleyball court (or three practice courts)
In addition, the complex includes:
- a fitness room with specialised fitness equipment
- staff offices
- showers, toilets and two change-rooms
- storage rooms for equipment
- staff shower, toilet and change-rooms
- two classrooms (one with hospitality facilities)
- Careers Room
An on-site car park off Oban Street is also included in the complex.
The Marsh Sports Centre was officially opened by Her Excellency The Governor-General of New Zealand, Dame Silvia Cartwright, on the 18th of July, 2006.
View of the Marsh Sports Centre
Inside the Sports Centre. View towards the upper-level classrooms and spectator gallery.
Fitness Room in the Sports Centre
Sports Centre classroom
Columba College's catering staff is experienced in providing a high quality service tailored to meet individual requirements. A full catering service can be provided (breakfast, lunch and dinner with morning and afternoon-teas), or options can be chosen such as a formal dinner or buffet meals. Particular dietary requirements can also be catered for if advised in advance.
Tea and coffee making facilities are available at any time.
- Smoking is not permitted on the school grounds or Columba College premises at any time
- Any costs incurred by the College for repair, special cleaning or re-instatement will be charged to the hirer
These will depend on specific needs and can be tailored to meet the requirements of individual groups. Details of costs are available on enquiry from either the Director of Boarding or the Director of Business.
Columba College is located on Highgate in an attractive residential hill suburb of Dunedin about five minutes walk from Roslyn Village which has a number of cafés, shops and a supermarket. Taxis are readily available and a city bus service runs past the College.
The city centre is a five to ten minute car trip, depending on the route taken.
The school grounds offer many pleasant areas for relaxation.
Click here for a school campus map.
For more information contact:
For enquiries about the hire of School buildings and facilities.
Telephone: 03 467 5188
Director of Boarding
For enquiries about hire of the Boarding Houses.
Telephone: 03 470 3711
Director of Business
Telephone: 03 467 5188 or 03 470 3714